Carol Coleman, French Teacher at Nga Tawa Diocesan in Marton attended the launch of Shared Histories on a sunny Saturday morning at Auckland University.
Carol met Bertrand Cuvelier, Principal of Lycée Jules Ferry in Conty, during the video conference.
The rest is ... History!
Much is carefully curated by the M. Cuvelier in France, and well worth a read at this link
Here is a summary of what has happened since:
• French students came to Marton.
• French students inquire into the life of NZ Soldier from Marton who is burried in Gezaincourt
• NZ students support their French partners Inquiry
• Start of conversation of twinning of the two towns (Marton NZ and Conty France)
• Carol and her team, supported by the Principal of her school, visited France in September/October 2015 to prepare for April 2016 trip
• Attended then the laying of the Wreath at the Le Quesnoy memorial which marks where NZ soldiers scaled impressive 18th century ramparts to free the town
• Start of the organisation of an International Chorale to perform on Anzac day 2016 in France _ Nga Tawa Diocesan will represent New Zealand with 9 chorale singers at the Longueval service
• Invitation by the NEW ZEALAND DEFENCE FORCE HQ to attend the Saturday (23 April) afternoon service at Longueval and the dawn and morning service the following day in Le Quesnoy on 24 April 2016
Two schools, across the world, making history through exploring their past. Be sure to revisit often to read more.